Monday, January 4, 2010

My Digital Studio 12 x 12 page tutorial

I promised my customers and friends to have an open house to show off the My Digital Studio (MDS) features and benefits, but the holidays got in the way!  I thought I would try and show you all a few things here on the blog so you can get a feel for what MDS is like. 
For this tutorial, I am going to show you step by step how easy it is to create an 12 x 12 scrapbook page using one of the provided designer templates.  Most of this you could easily figure out on your own intuitively if you were to sit down with the software and just start playing around.  But since most of you don’t own it yet…
When I open My Digital Studio, there are 4 “new project options” 1. photo album, 2. greeting card, 3. calendar, 4. multiple output options. 
image
I clicked on Photo Album.
image
Then I chose what size I want (12 x 12)
image
Then I chose Designer template
image
Each of the designer template choices is listed in the window.  For this tutorial, I chose Christmas Cocoa II, which is just a one page template.  For the next few screens, I just clicked next, and I ended up here:
 image
My Digital Studio will pre-populate all the photo boxes from a photo folder on my computer, or I can “pick and click” to fill the photo boxes myself.  I’ll show you the pick and click option.  Next I name my project.  Then I click finish.
 image
Here’s what my workspace looks like:
 image
I’ll point out a few important things from this screen.  The main canvas area is in the center which shows the designer template ready for me to add photos.  There is a gray box around the template which shows the area which may get cut off during the printing process depending on how I print my project.  On the left side of the screen is the Resource Palette.  This is where I can choose my photos, as wells as stamps, punches, embellishments, photo layouts, and background papers.   I have chosen to browse for photos, and then found my Christmas photo 2009 folder.  All the pictures from that folder are now available to browse in the resource palette.  Once I find the photos I am looking for, I just click and drag them into the photo boxes on the template page.
image
You can see that I have dragged 3 pictures into the photo boxes.  MDS will automatically size your photo to fit the box provided, but I can re-crop my photos if necessary.  On the right side of the screen is the Design Center.  Here is where most of the editing features are for the program.  To edit a photo, I click the photos bar. 
image
You can see above that there are several editing options.  I want to re-center the photo of my son.
image
By dragging  the crop area, I can keep the dimension of the photo, but show more of his head.
image
The other photos look fine, so I will leave them as they are.  But there is one more box for a photo.  I only want to use three photos for this page, so I am going to delete the photo box.  I just click on the photo box and then hit the delete button on my keyboard.
image
Now I want to resize the white mat frame around the pictures.  So I click on the white mat, then I drag it up to fit around the pictures.
image
I’ll show you how to move several elements at once to center the photos on the green rectangle.  Holding the control key on my keyboard, I click each element that I want to move (I clicked all three pictures plus the white mat).  You can then drag them wherever you want on the page.
image
If you want to make subtle movements, just use the arrow keys to “nudge” the element you want to move after you select it.
For this template there is a text box under the word Merry available to write some journal info about the pictures/events.  I double clicked the text box and typed the text I wantedimage
The last thing I want to add to the page is a text box with “2009” in it so I can record the year.  In the design center, you can change the font, size, and color as well as a few other things for the text box.
image
I clicked on Add Text in the design center. Which gave me the transparent text box right in the middle of my canvas shown below:
image
Then I just drag the text box to where I want it on the page, and type the word I want.
image
I changed the font and color in the design center.
Here is the finished page as it looks on my screen:
image
From here you can print at home (if you have a large format printer), or save as a jpg file and upload it to your favorite local print shop.  Stampin’ Up! will be offering single page printing in the future through their professional print services, but currently this option is not available. 
This is a quick and easy page without a lot of changes or customizing.  There are so many other things I can do to this page to make it “my own”, but I wanted to keep it simple.
If you have questions about this tutorial or other features of MDS, please leave a comment.  I am planning on doing a whole series of tutorials to feature some of the options that MDS offers.
If you think you are ready to purchase My Digital Studio please call or email me (buechers@msn.com) and we can get it ordered!  Or just go to www.melissab.stampinup.net and click on the shop now button in the top right to order it online.

1 comment:

Rachael said...

I am having so much fun with MDS! Thanks! I've already used it for several projects.