Tuesday, January 5, 2010

My Digital Studio 12 x 12 photo only tutorial or Scrapbooking for Strugglers.

So now that Christmas is over, I imagine all of you have hundreds of photos trapped on your camera or if you are truly ambitious, maybe you have dumped your photos from the camera to your computer.  But they are still sitting there.  This next tutorial is a great way to create multiple no-fuss pages when you have so many photos you don’t know what to do with them!
I start again with the new project options window and choose photo album.
image
Then I am going to choose 12 x 12 again.  If you don’t have a large format printer (who does?) and your local print store doesn’t offer 12 x 12 or they are too pricey, then you can always choose a smaller page size, print at home, and them mount the pages onto 12 x 12 cardstock (if you are keeping a 12 x 12 album)
image
This time, I am going to select photo only from the template window.
image
There is only one template choice for the photo only option. which includes 10 photo only layouts.
image
After I click next, MDS prompts me to arrange the layouts in any order.  I can re-arrange pages at any time during my design process.
image
For this tutorial I am going to show you the auto-fill option.
image
After I choose auto-fill, I select the photo folder that I want select photos from.
image
The next step is to organize photos.  I have 100 photos in this folder of Christmas morning.  Of course there are many duplicates and bad shots, so by going through and deleting and sorting here, I can save myself a lot of time.  I can even add photos from another folder if I want.
image
Then I name my project Christmas 2009 pages.  Because that is how much creativity I have.
image
And here is my canvas pre-populated with the photos from Christmas morning.
image
You can see at the bottom of the screen there is a “filmstrip” of all the pages with my photos already filled in.  I can change the order of the pages by clicking and dragging individual pages and dropping them in the order I want.
Now I want to do some re-arranging with the photos on this first  page, so I can either delete some of the photos, then drag and drop the ones I want into the places I want them from the resource palette on the right.  Or I can delete and drag within the page.
 image
You can see above that I have deleted the photos I didn’t want from the page, but the photo boxes remain.  Now I can choose the photos I want from the resource palette on the right and just drag and drop them into place.
image
I am going to delete the long skinny photo box and add a text box there in the same shape.  Just click on the text bar in the design center and choose add text.
image
Then I moved the transparent text box and resized it to fit the open space.
image
And since I am journaling disabled, it will remain blank until I can think of something to say that doesn’t bore me.
Now if I want to add a page in the middle of the template pages,then I select Insert from the top menu, then choose add page.
image
Then I can choose which of the 10 templates I want to use or I can just insert a blank page.  I want to put another this template—page 7.
image
Then I can drag the photos into the photo boxes that I want to use. 
image
I would like the photo on the top right to be larger, so I am going to delete the photo box on the left and then drag the photo on the right to be larger.
image
MDS is warning me that by dragging the photo to be larger, that it might pixelate or distort, so instead, I am going to delete the photo and then drag the photo box  to be larger.
image
image
This is one of the great beauties of MDS.  It will fill the photo box with your photo without you having to mess around with ratios, or image sizes.  Except now I think I would like it better if the top photo was centered.  So I am going to move the photo be grabbing the whole thing, not just a “handle” on the side or corner.
image
Here is are a few more examples of the photo-only templates. image image image image
Are you smellin’ what I am cookin’?  Doesn’t this look like scrapbooking for dummies?  There is just not time in the world to scrap every photo you have ever taken, but with these templates, you can at least print a bunch of photos on one sheet in the album size of choice and go to sleep a little less guilty that your youngest child has no physical evidence of the past.
Now if you want to jazz things up just a little without spending an hour on each page, you can just change the background paper:
image
Arrange>Change Background Paper>Cardstock. 
So I chose red, (Real Red to be exact) because it is so festive.  Here’s another trick—if I want all the pages to have the same background, then I open the background papers bar, and click the apply background paper to all pages button near the bottom.  This WARNING appeared on my screen
image
THIS ACTION CAN NOT BE UNDONE.
Watch me.
Here’s a page that if I were to print at home would drain every drop of magenta and cyan from my ink cartridge:
 image
So, all I have to do now is click on cardstock, color, designer paper or custom and change the background.
image
image
TaaaDaaaa!  Back to white, or any other color of my choice.
One more neato-frito trick.  Let’s say I want captions under all my photos, in case my journaling is not coming along like I plan…
Just click Edit>Preferences>
image
Then click on the captions tab and enable auto captions.  Now any photo you add to your page will have a caption at the bottom which defaults to the photo name (which from my camera is just a jumble of letters and numbers)
image
Can you see it?  IMG_0125.  But I can change the text to read something else:
image
Now you have no excuses.  Get yourself a copy of My Digital Studio and stop the insanity!  Your photos are calling you.

No comments: