Tuesday, January 12, 2010

My Digital Studio tutorial baby shower invitation

I got an emergency email from a friend who needed a baby shower invite created in a hurry.  Here’s what I came up with…
 anne's baby shower invite blurred
I got the inspiration from a pre-printed invitation online.   Since I already showed the first few screens in the other MDS tutorials, I will skip them here and just tell you, I opened up MDS and selected the Greeting Card option, 5 x 7 portrait size, then “create your own” template.  Then I named my project and here is my blank canvas:
image
Again there is a gray bleed area highlighted to show where the print service may cut the card.
Background Color: To make the entire background the hot pink color, I selected the background papers bar from the Design Center on the right side of the screen
image
I then chose the color palatte and selected Melon Mambo as the color choice.
image
image
Add a layer: To add a layer of color (white), I chose chose the cardstock option from the background paper bar and selected whisper white, and then clicked Add as  page layer" in the bottom left of that screen.
image
This is how it inserts:
image 
So I just moved it around and changed the shape using the “handles” on each of the sides and corners.
image
When you enlarge a “piece of cardstock” it is going to prompt you that it will pixelate when printed.  As long as it is a solid color, you do not have to worry about pixelation.  If you are working with a patterned piece of paper it is different—I will show you an example of that later.
Using Punches: Now I am going to show you another REALLY COOL feature of the MDS software.  To add the scalloped border punch, I selected the punches bar from the design center on the right side of the screen:
image 
Important note: in the MDS program, the punches are “vector images,” which allows us to change the size of the punch without pixelating it.  Here’s what I did:
image
I clicked the add a punch box, then the drop down menu of all the available punches shows each punch shape and its name.
I selected the scallop edge punch, which then inserted into my document like this:
 image
If I just drag the top “handle” of the punch, it will distort the punch by “stretching” the shape of the punch:
 image
So, instead I hover over the punch until I see the 4 way move arrow, then I can move the punch image where I want it.
image
Now I want to “fill” the punch with whatever color or paper I choose, which for this design will just be white.
image
So I chose color fill from the punch menu, then I selected whisper white.
image
You can see that the scalloped area now matches the white cardstock above it.
To add the eyelet holes, I used the punch feature again.  By selecting the circle punch and making it small enough to fit in the scallops, I can “fill” each punched circle hole with melon mambo, and make it look like the white scallops are punched out showing the melon mambo color underneath. 
Here’s the circle punch:
 image
I can resize it manually by grabbing one of the “handles” and shrinking the whole image, or I can just right click on the circle and choose edit object, which will bring up this window:
image
So then I am going to change with width and height to about 10 and see if that size is what I am looking for.
image

See that little gray square dot?  That is the circle, reduced to 10 by 10 (measured in pixels).  At this size it is a little tricky to work with, so I use my arrow keys to move it around to the place I want.  I can then fill it with the melon mambo color.  Once I do that, I just copy and paste all the circles down the line of scallops.  There are a couple of tricks to help through this process.  In the bottom right corner of the screen is the zoom button.  I zoomed in to about 200% to work with the circles.  I also added the grid to my canvas, which you can select from the top menu bar on the right hand side:
image
So I just select the little circle, then copy it (ctrl c), and if I want to keep them all in line, I can choose to paste it “in place” instead of offset.
 image
Then I just move the pasted circle with my arrows over to the next scallop.
By zooming in and using the grid, you can line up those circles quickly and easily.

image
Adding Text: Then I added my text.
image
Then I typed my text in the box:
image
I then changed the font, and colors of text using the options on the design center on the right.
image
Using Stamps: Now I want to add the “oh baby” title at the top.  So I click on the stamp icon in the resource palatte on the left side of the screen and a drop down menu of all th stamp sets available shows up.
image
I chose Schoolbook Serif Alphabet.  Then I drag each letter for baby onto the screen and re-size it.
image
image
As long as you have the keep proportions box clicked, your alphabet letters will not distort.
Then I selected each letter individually and changed the color by using the “change color” button in the design pallete:
 image
Then to line them up, I used the grid feature again:
 image
For the oh, part of the title, I used added a text box and selected a font style instead of using an alphabet stamp. 
image
Grouping: TO make it easier to move the word baby around to get it centered I selected each of the letters by clicking on them while holding down the control key on my keyboard.  Then I made them a group by selecting the group button in the arrange menu, or just clicking ctrl+shift+G. 
image
Now my project is done!  I have several print options I want to show you.  In the design center on the right side of the page, the very bottom bar is “share project”
image
Share your Project: You can see that there are two categories or sharing—create from home, and professional print.  I am going to create from home—sort of.  I want to export this file to a jpg and then upload it to a local print shop.  So I click on export to jpg and follow the steps to save it to my computer as a jpg file.  Then I can upload it to any print service.  If I wanted to print this at home with my home printer, I could also just click on the print button and follow the steps there.
Professional Print Option: The professional print option offered through Stampin’ Up! takes me to an order screen which allows me to print multiple copies of this card professionally.  The 5 x 7 greeting card choice prints as a folded card, and I created this to be a single sheet “panel” invitation, but if I wanted to use Stampin’ Up!s professional printing service, I could copy my design and paste it on the inner page of the card, then when I receive my printed order, cut the card in half to make two panels—which would also cut my price in half!
C0lor Match: I chose to send this file as a jpg to a local big box store for printing.  I picked it up today and the card color was pure RED not pink!!!  Many local print services have a hard time with matching the colors to what we see on our screen.  Stampin’ Up!s print service matches the SU colors, so if for instance I was going to mount this card onto real SU Melon Mambo cardstock, or tie a Melon Mambo ribbon on it, I would be assured that it would match if I printed it through the professional print option.  It would also qualify for any hostess benefits—so if I was printing a big order I could get free merchandise with my print job, or I could print a small order and add other supplies to qualify for hostess benefits. 

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Congratulations! I just wanted you to know that your project will appear on the Yahoo Group Late Night Stamper’s blog finds of the day for January 15. Want to receive your own copy of the blog finds of the day? Join us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/stampinuplnstampers/ or visit our Blog Finds of the Day Blog at http://blogfindsoftheday.blogspot.com.

Stephanie said...

Thanks for the great tutorial. I just bought digital studio and have been playing around. Have you ever run into a glitch where the program won't let you change the colour of the stamp? I followed your example, and the program let me change the first 3 letters of the word baby, but wouldn't let me change the last one. This happened with another stamp too. Any ideas? Thanks again for all the help!